The Rochester Eye Associates owes its beginnings to Dr John Fitzgerald who began practicing Ophthalmology in the early 1950’s on Barrington Street then moving to Mt Hope Ave.
One of Rochester’s earliest innovators of intraocular technology, Dr. Fitzgerald was known not only for his great surgical expertise but also for his skills in treating patients as people.
Dr. Fitzgerald served first as teacher then mentor and finally colleague to both Dr. Robert Olsen and Dr. Dennis Asselin who joined him in Practice in the mid 1980’s. As former classmates at the University of Rochester, Drs Olsen’s and Asselin’s training in the Rochester Psycho-social model blended perfectly with Dr. Fitzgerald’s patient approach and the practice grew rapidly.
The practice added a Westside office, optometric and contact lens services provided by Dr. Nally, an optical shop as well as a move to a larger space at it’s present Lac de Ville Location.
The practice continued to expand with the addition of Dr. Williams in 2004, Dr Ferri in 2013, Dr. Nally and Dr. Albert in 2019 enabling us to offer more services including laser refractive surgery, corneal transplantation and dry eye therapy.
Despite our tremendous growth over the years we have tried to maintain a culture at the Rochester Eye Associates, passed down by Dr. John Fitzgerald, of treating the whole patient and working in partnership with the patient’s primary care provider to see that they get the best outcome possible.